05 June 2014
The ninth Symposium on Electronic Crime Research (eCrime) 2014 once again will be held in conjunction with the 2014 APWG General Meeting between September 23-25, 2014 in Birmingham, Alabama.
eCrime 2014 consist of two full days which bring together academic researchers, security practitioners, and law enforcement to discuss all aspects of electronic crime and ways to combat it. Topics of interests include (but are not limited to):
- Case studies of current attack methods, including phishing, malware, rogue antivirus, pharming, crimeware, botnets, and emerging techniques
- Case studies of online advertising fraud, including click fraud, malvertising, cookie stuffing, and affiliate fraud
- Case studies of large-scale take-downs, such as coordinated botnet disruption
- Technical, legal, political, social and psychological aspects of fraud and fraud prevention
- Economics of online crime, including measurement studies of underground economies and models of e-crime
- Uncovering and disrupting online criminal collaboration and gangs
- Financial infrastructure of e-crime, including payment processing and money laundering
- Techniques to assess the risks and yields of attacks and the effectiveness of countermeasures
- Delivery techniques, including spam, voice mail, social network and web search manipulation; and countermeasures
- Techniques to avoid detection, tracking and take-down; and ways to block such techniques
- Best practices for detecting and avoiding damages to critical internet infrastructure, such as DNS and SCADA, from electronic crime activities
Accepted papers will be published in proceedings. In addition, cash awards will be given for the best paper overall and the best student co-authored paper. A limited number of cash travel awards will also be made to student authors of papers and posters.
Instructions for Authors
eCrime has adopted the IEEE publication format. Submissions should be in English, in PDF format with all fonts embedded, formatted using the the IEEE conference template, found here: https://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/publishing/templates.html. Submissions should include author names, affiliations and acknowledgments. They should not exceed 12 letter-sized pages, not counting the bibliography and appendices. Papers should begin with a title, abstract, and an introduction that clearly summarizes the contributions of the paper at a level appropriate for a non-specialist reader. Papers should contain a scholarly exposition of ideas, techniques, and results, including motivation, relevance to practical applications, and a clear comparison with related work. Committee members are not required to read appendices, and papers should be intelligible without them. Submitted papers risk being rejected without consideration of their merits if they do not follow all the above guidelines. Submissions must not substantially duplicate work that was published elsewhere, or work that any of the authors has submitted in parallel to any other conference or workshop that has proceedings.
Authors will be asked to indicate whether their submissions should be considered for the best student paper award; any paper co-authored by a full-time student is eligible for this award.
Authors of accepted papers must guarantee that their paper will be presented at the conference. A limited number of stipends are available to those unable to obtain funding to attend the conference. Students whose papers are accepted and who will present the paper themselves are given priority to receive such assistance. Requests for stipends should be addressed to the general chair after August 20.
Full papers have to be submitted via easychair: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ecrs2014. First, papers have to be registered, then authors can upload their papers. A successful submission can be viewed in EasyChair, and a confirmation email is sent to the corresponding author. Please make sure you receive that confirmation email when you submit, and follow the directions in that email if you require any follow up.
A special category is available in the paper submission system for Case Studies. This category allows for industrial research and case studies that do not qualify as full academic papers. Note though that papers submitted to this category are highly technical. For consideration in this category please submit your case study via easychair: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ecrime2014. First, Case Studies have to be registered, then authors can upload their papers. A successful submission can be viewed in EasyChair, and a confirmation email is sent to the corresponding author. Please make sure you receive that confirmation email when you submit, and follow the directions in that email if you require any follow up.
Important Dates: (11:59pm US EDT)
- Full Papers and Case Studies registration and submission due: June 13, 2014 (extended)
- Paper Notifications due: July 18, 2014
- Camera ready due: August 18, 2014
- Conference: September 23-25, 2014
- Saeed Abu-Nimeh, Seclytics
- Manos Antonakakis, Georgia Tech
- Roberto Perdisci, University of Georgia
- Don M. Blumenthal, Public Interest Registry
- Jay Brennan, Mitre
- Manel Medina, Univers. Polit. Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
- Markus Jakobsson, PayPal
- Oliver Friedrichs, Immunet
- Tyler Moore, SMU
- Susanne Wetzel, Stevens Institute of Technology
Technical Program Committee
- Marco Balduzzi (Trend Micro)
- Davide Balzarotti (Eurecom)
- Juan Caballero (IMDEA)
- Lorenzo Cavallaro (Royal Holloway)
- Nicolas Christin (CMU CyLab)
- Guofei Gu (Texas A&M)
- Sotiris Ioannidis (ICS Forth)
- Christian Kreibich (ICSI)
- Andrea Lanzi (University of Milano)
- Kang Li (University of Georgia)
- Long Lu (Stony Brook)
- Damon McCoy (George Mason University)
- Konrad Rieck (University of Gottingen)
- Kapil Singh (IBM TJ Watson)
- Brett Stone-Gross (Dell SecureWorks)
- Junjie Zhang (Wright State University)
- Michalis Polychronakis (Columbia University)
- George Portokalidis (Stevens Institute of Technology)
- Raheem A. Beyah, (Georgia Institute of Technology)
- Gritzalis Stefanos, (University of the Aegean)